The Challenge Hayley has reduced function and strength in all four limbs as the result of Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy. She is unable to stand or walk and therefore uses a power wheelchair for her general mobility. Hayley is unable to transfer herself from her wheelchair to another surface independently. The Solutions Hayley was awarded…
We have a reputation for undertaking the impossible, we love a challenge!
Elap has worked hard over the past 30 years to develop a wide range of ‘out-of-the-box’ products which can be adapted for people’s specific needs. However, we are often presented with a mobility challenge where it is not a case of simply installing a particular product, it might be a project combining a number of products to create a complete solution or even the development of completely bespoke adaptations.
This section of our website details the level of assessment, installation and customer involvement sessions we undertake with each and every bespoke project, along with a number of case studies to give you an idea of the type of challenges we have overcome previously.
Our state-of-the-art in-house design and production facility ideally places us to be able to make ‘one-off’ parts, brackets and adaptations to suit your exact needs and we will see your project from inception right through to product familiarisation and use.
There is no financial commitment until you have been given a full quotation and have decided to proceed with the project; all the inception, design and project brief work is carried out at our cost.
How we work
- Pick up the phone and have a chat with Rob Ellis about your needs and requirements, he is creative and has over 10 years experience in mobility solutions. Initially he will create a project brief and chat with our in-house engineers about your project.
- It is ideal if you are able to travel to our facility in Lancashire for an assessment, we will bring our entire development together to listen and they are at your complete disposal, beware this will be a very creative and exciting session, ideas will flow! If you cannot travel to Lancashire, Rob Ellis will arrange to meet you at your home to assess your needs.
- We will then try to define a specific project plan and identify the relevant costs associated with each part. The information we provide you with will be sufficient to make a decision on proceeding with the work or sending the quotation to an appropriate funding organisation
- Once we have your approval, we will commence with the manufacture of the parts and commence installation of the equipment in your vehicle; this can take from 2 – 8 weeks depending on the complexity of the project.
- During the installation you will generally be invited to 1 or 2 fitting sessions where we show you the progress and measure up specific items, such as defining specifically where you need a particular lever or button to be placed.
Product familiarisation and handover
- Once complete, your vehicle will be delivered and a full handover will take place.
As with any adaptation, we suggest you hire a trained driving instructor to show you the ropes and support you initially, we will be happy to recommend a suitable instructor near your home.
Take a look at some of our recent projects
19th November 2010
The Challenge Wendy has congenital absence of both legs above the knee and left arm above the elbow. She also has Osteoarthritis in all joints. She can stand on her stumps and walk short distances indoors, she uses a power wheelchair for her general mobility. The Solutions Increased pressure to power steering, to make it…
30th November 2010
The Challenge Alan has had both upper limbs amputated below the elbow and his left leg amputated below the knee. He is unable to walk and therefore uses a power wheelchair for his general mobility. Alan can perform a semi standing transfer from his wheelchair to another surface independently. The Solutions Elap EGB system Tetra…